Project: Design and Build of 4 new residential care bungalows with adjacent staff accommodation
Programme: 8 months
Cost: approx. £600k
Site Description: Berkeley House is made up of two separate dwellings within beautiful grounds located within the peaceful rural Kent countryside. The property back onto very large grounds in which the new care facility was developed.
Project Description: Erection of new single storey care facility with pitched roof and associated facilities and new mains services.
• Site Set up and demolition of outbuildings to create cleared site
• Excavations, groundworks and foundations
• Erection of new steel frame and mixed cladding including brickwork, timber and metal
• Roof – Pitched roof with roof tiles and feature glazed gables
• Aluminium windows and external doors and Brise Soleil
• Internal specialist joinery
• New water main
• New floor finishes throughout with underfloor heating
• Commercial fire sprinkler system
• All associated mechanical and electrical installations
• External landscaping inc paving & external lighting
Challenges: Berkeley House Care Home remained occupied throughout the construction. Of utmost important for us was to ensure the health, safety and welfare of all residents, staff and visitors to the property during the construction period. Residents and users of the buildings are mentally and/or physically impaired and therefore may not be able to understand the hazards associated with construction works. We designed a system for the safe segregation of residents,staff and visitors from the works.
Outcomes: The project was completed on time and within budget and the care home were able to fully operate throughout the project.